Sunday, July 25, 2010

Play somethin country

Grandma called on Monday and asked if we wanted to go for a visit, and Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 we picked up Julia from a play date and hit the road.

Grandma and Grandpa's house is one of my favourite places. They live on a farm about 15 minutes out of Stettler, AB. I have so many memories in that house, I just love it. There is something to be said about the comforts of Grandma and Grandpa's house. The kids are thrilled to see their great-grandparents and they are very close to them. The days are spent eating delicious home-cooked food, playing outside and exploring, rides on the quad, reading, talking about everything under the sun, and for me a special treat- sleeping in! We all get a nice relaxing visit before heading back to the city life.

The drive to get to the farm is nice, but usually I am in somewhat of a rush to get there. The ride back is different...I am on my time, and there are very few hours spent this way. The sound of sleeping babies in the back, whatever music I am feeling to soothe my soul, the big open prairie sky and always little surprises on every trip. It is peaceful, and uplifting, reflective, but mostly inspiring. When I am driving I am filled with the inspiriation and ambition to do almost anything, and it is in these hours that I grow more as a person, and dreams are dreamt, plans are made, and paths are laid down.

This particular drive back was different, but it was actually a little treat in disguise. We were cruising along on Hwy 2 when the traffic backed up, and I mean it was BACKED up. The police re-routed us on a detour through Carstairs onto Hwy 2A. I thought all was good until I saw the traffic ahead that went on forever, and ever...and ever. Sooo...I turned the opposite way into the town, stopped for a bathroom break as we all know 3 year olds don't wait for traffic, picked up a bunch of snacks and drinks, changed the baby and topped him up and back on the road we went. We waited about 25 minutes going about 10 ft every 5 minutes until I saw a turn-off onto a dirt road. I contemplated for a minute, and BAM we turned off. I took the dirt road right to the end when I realized what I had just done- backtracked down the same highway. So needless to say, I turned the car around and headed back to where we turned off...until I came across another road running parallel to the highway...hmmm. We turned down and to my satisfaction this road cruised along parallel to the never-ending traffic. I couldn't believe nobody else had tried this. There wasn't another car in sight, or any indication that any other cars had taken this little secret road. I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the country-side, the canola was in full bloom and its rich yellow colour is truly stunning against the blue sky. I had to stop and take it in. The country is so quiet, it is so rich with patience. I took some pictures, watched some cows, and was lucky enough to see a lightning storm in the distance. When I got back in the car I drove slowly down the dirt road just taking it all in. Eventually I got back on the highway and headed home. What could have been a frustrating, miserable drive home turned into a nice surprise. I wish I had the patience to turn every day events into happy times like my detour in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment