Thursday, April 29, 2010

adventures in eating

We are slowly starting Jack on solids and so far he is enjoying...a lot!

We went to our family doctor for his 6 month check-up/possible ear infection. I explained symptoms of what I thought was an ear infection, especially how no matter if Jack has been nursed (multiple times!), slept, played with, etc. he was still very fussy and seemed to be uncomfortable.  After checking him out and seeing no signs of infection my doctor asked me a few questions:
"Is he particularly fussy after being nursed?"
"Does he grab for food when you are eating?"
"Are you left empty after nursing him?"
"Can he sit up supported or unsupported?"

To which I replied, "Yep, yep, yep, yep."

"Well then, he is ready for solids". Well, that makes sense.  He is fussy because he is still hungry after being nursed. Last time we saw her she told us we could start giving him about a tablespoon of rice cereal once a day and see if he would take it.  No problems there, if he is indeed hungry he downs that stuff like nobody's business! So, she told us to break out the meat, fruit and veggies.

Yesterday he tried bananas.  He was very surprised by the sweet but quickly decided he loved them!  We will introduce a new fruit or vegetable once a week for the next little while, and start him on meat right away.  I see some lamb in his very near future.

1 comment:

  1. Possibly the best picture in the world (the first one).

    ReplyDelete